Jaggery Rice or Gur Walay Chawal
RECIPE TYPE: Main CUISINE: Pakistani
PREP TIME: 45 mins COOK TIME: 5 mins TOTAL TIME: 50 mins
Jaggery Rice - Sweet Rice Dish made using Jaggery
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 and half cup rice, preferably Basmati Rice
- 120 gms Jaggery
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cups water
- 4 small cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 15-20 raisins
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 tsbp roasted peanuts (optional)
- First, take the jaggery. And soak it in 1 cup water for 30-45 minutes. This keeps 2 cups water remaining for the rest of the recipe.
- Pick, clean and wash the rice. Soak the rice for 15-20 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker add the rice and 2 cups water.
- Pressure cook for 1.5 to 2 minutes. The rice should be half cooked. Once the pressure settles down, open the cooker lid.
- Fluff the rice in the cooker itself.
- Add the jaggery dissolved in water plus the oil. Stir it gently with the half cooked rice. The bubbles you see in the picture below is the oil bubbles floating on the surface.
- Now add the cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, raisins and peanuts.
- Stir this too gently with the rice mixture.
- Now close the cooker with the lid and pressure cook again for 1.5 to 2 minutes.
- Garnish the cooked jaggery rice with dry fruits of your choice
SERVING SIZE: 4