Soaking Time: 2 Hours
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Makes 6 servings
- 3/4 cup almonds (badam)
- 5 cups (1 litre) milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder (optional)
- 1 tsp nutmeg (jaiphal) powder (optional)
- 1 tsp saffron (kesar) strands
- Soak the almonds in hot water for 2 hours. Drain, remove the skin and blend in a mixer to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a heavy-bottomed vessel till it is reduced to ¾ of its quantity, while stirring continuously.
- Add the almond paste, sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and saffron, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When it cools completely, refrigerate at least for 2 hours.
- Serve chilled.