Cook time: Under 30 min
Prep time: Under 15 min
Serves: 4 people
- 1/2 cup Vermicelli, see Tips
- 2-1/2 cups warmed Milk, or as needed. see Tips
- 1/2 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk, see Tips
- 2-3 tbsp of mixed Dried Fruits and Nuts, see Tips
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Pinch of Saffron
- Vermicelli: You can make it even more simpler for you by buying roasted vermicelli that's easily available in all Indian Stores. In that case you don't need to roast it separately.
- Milk: Although you can use low fat milk for this, Whole milk is recommended. The amount of milk depend on the creaminess and consistency preferred by you and your family. You can increase/decrease the amount according to your needs.
- Condensed Milk: If you think you need more sweetening, add a little more condensed milk and cook for few additional minutes.
- Dried Fruits and Nuts: I used about a tbsp each of Cashews and Pistachios and about 10 Raisins.
- Heat Ghee in a non stick or heavy bottomed pan. Add the nuts and when slightly browned, add the raisins. When the raisins puff up, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan (in the remaining ghee), roast the vermicelli
- until it turns golden brown.
- To it, add the warmed milk along with the some of the nuts (keep the rest for garnish). I like to cook the nuts along with it, but you can add all of it towards the end of the cooking.
- Close the lid and cook for 6-8 minutes,
- or until the vermicelli is cooked.
- Now add the condensed milk, cardamom and saffron to the mixture and cook for another few minutes
- until the mixture thickens slightly.