carrot kanji recipe | gajar kanji recipe
RECIPE TYPE: beverage CUISINE: north indian
PREP TIME: 15 mins TOTAL TIME: 15 mins
SERVES: 2 litres of kanji drink
carrot kanji recipe - a fermented north indian probiotic drink made from carrots, beetroot and ground mustard and water
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 5-6 medium sized carrots/gajar
- 2 small beetroots
- 8 cups water - approx 2 litres of water (boiled & filtered or purified)
- 1 or 1.5 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tbsp mustard powder (dry grind 2 or 2.5 tbsp mustard)
- black salt as required
- rinse and then peel the carrots and beetroots.
- chop into long pieces.
- mix all the ingredients in a glass or ceramic jars.
- cover with a lid or muslin cloth and keep the jars in the sun for 3-4 days.
- stir with a wooden spoon everyday before keeping the jars back in the sun.
- when the kanji tastes sour, it means the drink is fermented.
- serve carrot kanji straightway or refrigerate.
to make the vadas, follow the recipe below.
- soak ½ cup urad dal/black gram in water overnight.
- drain and grind the urad dal with 1 green chili, ½ tsp cumin, a pinch of asafoetida, ½ inch ginger and salt with very less water to a thick batter.
- heat oil for deep or shallow frying. spoon the batter into the hot oil.
- fry the vadas till they are golden brown.
- drain on kitchen tissues.
- soak the vadas in water for 20-25 mins.
- press the vadas between the palms of your hands to squeeze out the water.
- soak these vadas in the kanji overnight in the refrigerator.
- serve the next day.