RECIPE TYPE: sweets, dessert CUISINE: indian
PREP TIME: 1 min COOK TIME: 3 mins TOTAL TIME: 4 mins
milk peda - quick peda made in the microwave oven. a 5 minute recipe.
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 200 gms sweetened condensed milk - half a can of condensed milk
- ½ tbsp ghee or butter
- ¾ cup milk powder
- a pinch of saffron/kesar
- a pinch of nutmeg powder/jaiphal powder
- 3-4 green cardamoms/hari elaichi/choti elaichi
- mix the condensed milk, milk powder and ghee/butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- make sure there are no lumps.
- crush the cardamoms in a mortar-pestle to a fine powder. discard the peels.
- microwave on high for one minute.
- add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and saffron strands.
- stir and microwave on high for one minute. remove and stir again.
- microwave for 30 seconds on high and check.
- if the mixture looks a bit liquid, microwave again for 30 seconds on high. the mixture would thicken.
- it took me exact 3 minutes on high power to get the right consistency.
- if the mixture still has moisture and is liquidity, then microwave again on high for 15 to 30 seconds more.
- when the mixture becomes mildly hot or warm, shape into small balls.
- the mixture is sticky, so apply some oil or ghee while shaping into small balls.
- once cooled, store the milk pedas in an air tight box in the refrigerator.
- serve the milk pedas or doodh pedas when required.
- the recipe can be doubled or tripled. it takes the same time to microwave the peda mixture using half the tin or full tin of condensed milk.
- since the microwave cooking functions vary from oven to oven, you can microwave some seconds less or more to get the right consistency.
- the mixture can also be cooked in a pan. cook the mixture till it starts to leave the sides of the pan. it takes approx 10-14 minutes depending on the type of pan, amount of heat and quantity of the mixture.