beetroot rice recipe | beetroot pulao recipe
RECIPE TYPE: main CUISINE: south indian
PREP TIME: 20 mins COOK TIME: 15 mins TOTAL TIME: 35 mins
beetroot rice recipe - easy spiced beetroot pulao.
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup basmati rice, 200 grams
- enough water for soaking rice
- whole spices
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms/choti elaichi
- 1 inch cinnamon/dal chini
- 2 to 3 cloves/lavang
- 5 to 6 black pepper/sabut kali mirch
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 medium onion, chopped or ⅓ cup chopped onion or 50 to 55 grams onions
- 7 to 8 curry leaves/kadi patta or 1 small to medium tej patta/indian bay leaf
- 2 small to medium beetroots or 1 cup finely chopped beetroots or 125 grams beetroots
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste or ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 small to medium garlic cloves
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 1.5 to 2 cups water, i added 1.5 cups water
- salt as required
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- rinse basmati rice in water very well. then soak the rice in enough water for 20 minutes. after 20 minutes, drain the rice and keep aside. instead of basmati rice, you can even use any other fragrant rice or even regular or short grained rice.
- heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. then add all the whole spices. the oil should be hot enough so that the mustard seeds crackle as soon as you add them in the oil. do keep the flame on a low to medium flame, so that the other spices do not get burnt.
- add ⅓ cup chopped onion and 7 to 8 curry leaves.
- stir and saute till the onion start to become light golden.
- then add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 1 to 2 green chilies (slit) and ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves. saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- now add 1 cup finely chopped beetroot. do chop the beetroot finely. you can also grate beetroots and then add. stir and saute for a minute.
- add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chili powder and ½ tsp coriander powder. mix and stir well. add the rice.
- stir gently and saute for a minute.
- add 1.5 to 2 cups water. depending on the type and quality of rice, you can add water. for basmati rice, you can add 1.5 to 1.75 cups of water. i added 1.5 cups water.
- season with salt. stir and mix. taste the water and it should have a slightly salty taste.
- pressure cook on a medium flame for 2 whistles or for 8 to 9 minutes. you can also cook this pulao in a pan or pot. add water accordingly.
- when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid. gently fluff the beetroot rice. garnish the pulao with 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. serve beetroot pulao with a side veggie salad or raita.