|PREP TIME||5 mins|
|COOK TIME||20 mins|
|TOTAL TIME||25 mins|
rice pakoras - crisp and soft pakoras made with leftover cooked rice.
RECIPE TYPE: snacks
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup cooked rice (can be freshly cooked rice which has cooled down or leftover cooked rice)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped, or half cup finely chopped onion
- 1 green chili, chopped or ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped or grated
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- ½ tsp carom seeds/ajwain, optional
- ½ tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 5 tbsp gram flour/besan
- 5 to 6 tbsp water or as required
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying
- take the rice in a small bowl or pan. mash the rice with your hands or with a spoon. mashing the rice gives a soft texture to the pakoras.
- its always better to use rice which are cooked really well. if the rice appears dry after removing from fridge, then just sprinkle some water on it and microwave for a few minutes.
- add all the rest of the ingredients to the rice - besan/gram flour, chopped onions & ginger, coriander leaves, green chilies and all the spice powders. add salt.
- mix well and keep aside for for 8 to 10 minutes. the onions would release their juices and make the mixture a bit soft. then you can add water as required.
- after adding water, stir and mix very well.
- heat oil for frying in a kadai or pan.
- take spoonfuls and drop the mixture in hot oil. keep the temperature to medium heat.
- let the pakoras get cooked & browned lightly and then you turn them over and continue to fry.
- deep fry till the rice pakoras are crisp and golden. drain on paper kitchen towels.
- serve rice pakoras with green chutney or tomato sauce.
1. if making for kids, then skip the green chilies or red chili powder.
2. in case the pakora mixture becomes thin, then one or two tbsp of gram flour.
3. if the mixture appears thick, then add a few teaspoons of water.