- 2 cups Boiled and pureed Palak/Spinach
- 1/2 cup Onion paste
- 2 teaspoon Each of Garlic paste + Ginger paste
- 3 medium Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Each of Beaten Curd + Tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Fresh cream (optional)
- 1/2 kg Boneless Chicken - washed and cleaned
- 2-3 pieces of Moti Eliachi (Black cardamom)
- 2 pieces of Each of Green Cardamom + Cinnamon sticks
- 2-3 pieces of Bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Each of Cumin seeds + Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coarsely pounded coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt to taste
CHANGE SERVING SIZE: 6 PEOPLE
- Wash and clean tomatoes. Apply a small incision in tomatoes and drop them in a potful of boiling water for 7-9 minutes.
- Soon you will notice the skin peeling off from the tomatoes. Using a spoon take remove them from hot water and give them a cold bath by dropping them in cold water. This will speed up the peeling process.
- Peel off the tomato skin and discard. Using a sharp knife chop the juicy flesh of tomatoes.
- Assemble all the masala ingredients.
- And dry spices.
- To make the masala - add ghee to a hot pan add whole spices and cumin seeds.
- When they start to sputter add ginger-garlic paste. Mix and saute for 5-6 SECONDS. Stir in onion paste and mix.
- Keep sauteing till all the liquid has evaporated and masala looks all dried up. Stir in chopped tomatoes.
- Add tomato puree and stir in all the dry spices one by one.
- I prefer to cook garam masala powder along with my gravy, instead of adding it at the last minute. This way it releases more flavor and adds heat to the gravy.
- Add 1/2 cup of beaten curd and give it a good mix. Cook for another 2-3 minutes till the masala is reduced in size and ghee starts to leave the cooked masala. Add pureed palak to it.
- Mix well and cook for 20- 25 minutes till palak color changes from light green to dark green in color. Meanwhile clean and wash chicken pieces.
- Add chicken pieces to cooked palak.
- Mix and pour 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook till chicken pieces are fully cooked. It will take approximately another 20 minutes.
- Saag chicken is ready.
- Garnish it with cream and serve hot over rice or chapati.